How to Excel in College Essay Writing
When you are going through college you can’t avoid being asked to write essays and papers on various topics. It is definitely more challenging to write a college-level academic essay than writing a casual blog post or writing a high school book report. Your college instructors have expectations for you to do heavy research on the topics they give you in order to produce a thoughtful essay. But there is no need to have a headache over it, memorize the following tips and you will soon excel in college essay writing.
- Carefully read through what requirements your professor gave you. Ask your professor about the expectations if you are confused.
- Make an outline of the essay. Write down the key points you plan to address in the essay. This way, you can make your essay more organized and concise.
- Start writing the essay with your researched materials. Be sure to use direct and clean language. If your research is well done, you will not be having problems meeting the expectations without adding any extraneous words.
- Don’t forget about the reading materials you were given in the class. Meanwhile, don’t be afraid of branching out to use external sources either.
- Make sure to use direct quotes from the materials you read. This way you can display that the research has been done. Don’t forget to add a footnote to credit your source.
- Make sure your essay is 100% original. Plagiarism has always been taken very seriously in college and your professor is most likely going to check your work for issues of the kind.
- Be sure to proofread your essay. All the information should be clearly presented in the essay. Edit right away if you find any fluffy language that stops you from getting your point across. Don’t be afraid to spend over one hour on proofreading your essay, or even ask a friend to catch the errors you might miss.
- Don’t forget to add a heading on your paper with the class name which the essay is for, and your name and student ID number. At the end of the paper, include a bibliography, especially if your professor required it.
To succeed in college study definitely requires greater time commitment, and more attention to details. However, writing an excellent college essay can become an easy task once you master all the tricks. To summarize, remember to do a thorough preparation, be concise, be original and use sources efficiently. Very soon, good grades are going to be at your fingertips.